DISC: Communication Tips for Is – Part 3

In Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, we talked about the importance of DISC and D’s profile characteristics. In this next discussion, we’ll cover the characteristics of Is and how to communicate with them.

When you think of famous influencers, some names come to mind almost instantly. Bill Clinton. Robin Williams. Will Smith. They all score highly in the ‘I’ metrics.

Quick reminder: ‘I’ measures how a person attempts to influence or persuade others.

communication tips 2

I(nfluence) style characteristics

People with high scores on ‘I’ have these characteristics:

• Emotional
  • People-oriented
  • Greatest fear is rejection
  • Disorganised
  • Optimistic
  • Encouraging.

People with a higher ‘I’ value are more verbal and persuasive in trying to influence others to their way of thinking. Consequently, the lower the ‘I’ value of an individual, the more the person will use data and facts.

The ‘I’ factor also measures the emotion of optimism. Extremely high I’s are joyful and optimistic while extremely low I’s tend to be more pessimistic.

Enhance communication with I’s

Say that your boss is a real influencer but sometimes he can be really optimistic without weighing the pros and cons. You want to communicate your concerns in such a way that he is open to them. How should you do this?

Here are some tips to enhance communication with I’s:

Do:

• Build a favourable environment
  • Let them talk about ideas, people, their institution
  • Share testimonials
  • Allow for social time
  • Write details, but do not dwell on them
  • Create incentives for following through.

Don’t:

• Eliminate social time
  • Do all the talking
  • Ignore their ideas
  • Tell them what to do.

Fun fact: When in an antagonistic environment, the high ‘I’ responds actively and may try to negotiate an agreement or apologise quickly.

If you missed Part 1 and 2 of this series, you can read them here. The next posts will cover the characteristics of Ss and Cs.

This article is modified from the Institute of Management training module: Communicating to Influence. For more information about the course, please visit our website.